Do you give back by gigging during the holiday season?
As today is Veteran’s Day, this Biz Booster may be particularly poignant.
We all get more concerned with making donations around the holiday season, and that’s a good thing. I encourage you to give back by gigging to help community organizations with their fundraising. You can check out my article linked here in this biz booster, How You Can “Give Back” by Giving Your Music The article details ways that you can put your music to work for a cause. And please note that my strategies about playing benefits do not include playing for free, but that’s another discussion, one I go into in depth in my online course
Today, I’d like to offer some suggestions on how you might incorporate give back by gigging for a cause throughout the year or for the duration of a single tour.
If you follow the steps laid out in the article, you’ll have a great foundation for finding appropriate organizations with causes you support. Now you can approach your organization, say The Veterans Association Or Veterans of Foreign Wars or Wounded Warrior, a local food bank, Meals on wheels, ASPCA, or any organization that constantly needs financial support for the work they do and that you care about and make your commitment.
- Contact your organization of choice
- Offer to donate a portion of income from gigs, CD sales, other merchandise sales over a specified time frame, a tour, a month, a year. Be specific about the percentage. They need to have that for tax purposes and your fans and customers need to know for their tax purposes as well.
- You might say $1 from each CD sold goes to the organization of choice, or you can use a percentage like 10% of all income from tour fees goes to the VA say.
- Once this is established and you have the blessings of the organization to use their name on your promotions, you may begin incorporating this information on posters, PSA’s, in radio interviews or even on your next CD pressing.
- Now there is another newsworthy topic for the press to interview you about, to write about and help you sell yourself to bookers and potential ticket buying fans.
- But best of all, when you give back by gigging, you use your talent, your music or performance for a higher purpose year-round, not just during the holidays.
I hope you’ll consider giving back by gigging as part of your business plan, you’ll feel great when you do.
Next week: Thanksgiving the Best Weekend to Gig
Have you incorporated a plan for giving by gigging? Please share your ideas.
Leave me a comment below.
I can’t wait to hear about your success.
Thanks to Carol Ehrlich for this week’s graphic Image.
Now, Thanks to the Band Curfew from the UK for providing the Biz Booster theme Music, “Future Dance.”
And for more career boosting tips, articles, books, resources, tele-seminars and online courses, visit me at Performingbiz.com